[time-nuts] Re: Austron Oscillator Products

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Feb 27 15:41:04 UTC 2024

Hi

Austron from that era could be an OCXO, it could easily be something else.

It likely was made custom for an OEM and their specific application. Like everybody else in the business, those custom specs did not get published “to the world”. The OEM didn’t want folks reverse engineering their gear. The oscillator manufacturer didn’t want to make it easy for a competitor to supply the part.

Best guess is that the main part number is something like 1170-0103A. That would be Austron’s internal number. The key is that “0103A” part. Each of those dashes would be a very different design. As I recall 1170 was a package size in their approach to numbering things. I could easily be wrong about that.

If it has another part number on the label like 302559-55, it’s a good bet that is the OEM’s part number.  Sometimes you can work out who the OEM was from the way they do their own part numbers.

154 ma at 28V ( = 4.4W) is bit low for an oven of that era at start up. It’s not crazy low, but something >= 2X that would be more common. Terminated output levels up in the > 13 dbm range (on two independent outputs) likely would chew up a good chunk of that power.

In some applications, people used little plug on connectors to supply power to an OCXO. Just why always baffled me. Was it done in this case? Who knows … doing it that way was rare.

If it comes up on frequency and moves < 10 ppm in the first 10 minutes, it’s not an OCXO. If it moves > 40 ppm in < 10 minutes, it is an OCXO.

Bob