[time-nuts] Intro and question

KevinC kevinc at carpenter-farms.us
Sat Jan 20 18:23:27 UTC 2024

Hi all, new to this list.

I just lost my beloved Heathkit GC-1000 that has, amazingly, run for
almost 50 years (I built it when I was about 15, 65 now) after our last
set of power outages up here in NE Missouri (37 hours without power due
to snowstorms - set a new record for us).

Not sure exactly what I want to replace it with, other than not wanting
a GPS solution.  My office/man cave is tin sided, but I have loop
antenna and long wire antenna feeds in through that. The GC-1000 synced
up with the 5/10/15MHz radio signals and displayed time in 1/10th second
increments.  Something similar would be sweet.

  I have a lot of computer servers, all NTP synced, so its more about
the tech used than a second resolution time - my PC or servers can
provide me that.

On the other hand, having NTP Stratum 0 output support would be diabetes
inducing sweet.  I'm on gigabit Internet, so could support a bit of a load.

Alas, being retired on fixed income does make cost an issue, so lets
float $500 out as a proposed budget.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin