[time-nuts] Re: Optical 10 MHz source information

Judith Olson judith.olson at infleqtion.com
Tue Jan 23 18:51:44 UTC 2024

Hi Perry,

I can provide some details here - I am working on one of the optical clocks with 10 MHz output you might be referencing. I'm now aware of three optical clock products - Infleqtion, Vector Atomic, and the Danish Metrology Institute (unsure if it has a 10MHz, but it probably has at least a 100 MHz from the comb that can be easily divided). Performance is at or near active hydrogen masers for all of these clocks, and flicker floors are falling in the 10^-15's for them.

All three are being reported as costing between $200k and $300k. They're all too new to really have a clear MTBF, but the lasers are likely the first parts to have lifetime issues. 10 year MTBF wouldn't be absurd for these systems, and the laser subsystem can usually be swapped out if something does go wrong.

I'm not sure how the other groups are verifying calibration, but we are using a variety of in-house measurement capabilities, bringing units to NIST for testing, etc.

I'd be glad to setup a call if you want to know more details that I shouldn't share on such an open forum.

Judith