[time-nuts] Re: Want to build your own optical clock?

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 23:13:14 UTC 2024

Skip it was interesting to take a look at what you sent. Sure looks like
some students are going to have fun with cold atoms.
In some of the earlier threads there was a discussion on failure modes and
the laser was most likely. This had me thinking about the old cesiums I
have.
Assuming they are on average 40 years old, then the current life of the
units are some 350,000 hours. Granted I don't run them 24 X 7.
But it at least sets a number to what we are used to at some level.
Not very scientific but a fun fact.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL