[time-nuts] Re: Want to build your own optical clock?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Wed Jan 24 23:23:35 UTC 2024

Paul,

When I did the NIST Time and Frequency Seminars, one of the lab evens
was the MOT. It was really instructive and fun to get the cooling going,
and we where able to cool both Rb-87 and Rb-85. Looking at a spot and
realize it is really really cool atoms is cool. Only time that was
surpassed, was when I saw the cool atoms in NPLs cesium fountain, as
these are among the few that contribute to actual TAI.

Having a MOT is tempting. However, I may need to consider my priorities.
I mean, what gear get's thrown out???

Cheers,
Magnus