[time-nuts] Re: Sulzer 5B Quartz Frequency Standard Questions

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Mar 19 17:15:26 UTC 2024

Hi

As you go through one of these old beasts, you never really know what is still “ok”.

1) The set point on the inner oven may have drifted. If so the unit may be a bit off frequency. It also probably isn’t doing quite as well as it might do in terms of temperature performance.

2) The set point on the outer oven might have drifted. If so the inner oven may be out of its “sweet spot”. Just what that target current on the inner oven is / was …. not easy to work out.

Once the ovens are (probably) working ok.

3) The unit likely is off frequency. The crystal (and other parts) have been drifting for a *very* long time. Some will drift more than others. There’s no way to predict how far out this or that is. First step is to run the unit for at least 60 days and see where it is. They likely ran them for many months “back in the day” before they decided what was what. If it’s out at 60 days, run it another 60 days or so.

4) Take a shot at adjusting it on frequency. Best guess the coarse trimmer bottoms out in one direction or the other. When it bottoms out you have two basic choices: You can just live with it off frequency or you can start changing things. If it’s off by several ppm changing stuff to get it back on may impact performance. Since you don’t really know if it’s the crystal or “that cap over there” you are flying a bit blind as you adjust things. We all *assume* it’s the crystal and it probably is. Other parts do indeed drift and sometimes drift a *lot* (that coil over there just might be the culprit …. ).

Very much a task for folks with time to wait and see what happens.

Bob