[time-nuts] Re: Sulzer 5B Quartz Frequency Standard Questions

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Mar 20 13:07:14 UTC 2024

Hi

These standards (and similar ones from various other outfits) were designed for rack mount / stationary use. Things like glass dewar’s for insulation are a fine thing if you are stationary. They are not all that great if you undergo a lot of shock and vibration. ( Also not great if somebody is shipping one of those designs to you via UPS or FedEx …). There are a number of “not so rugged” items like this in the typical designs ….

As a side note: they also “assumed” that power would be applied continuously 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Fast warmup and fast stabilization …. not a major design goal.

Bob