[time-nuts] Re: Power line timing -- setting a clock

Peter Reilley preilley_454 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 24 19:19:30 UTC 2024

What is described here is an independent system not a local utility
connected
to a larger grid.
As part of a large grid, imagine that you are an operator at a power plant.
Your generator is capable of X watts.   The total capacity of the grid may
be 10,000X watts.   If you open the throttle of the generator fully then
you
can output X watts and the grid will have 10,001X watts total.   If you
bring your plant to idle you will put out 0 watts.

In either case your effect on the grid is extremely small but not
zero.   The only
way to change the frequency of the grid is if the central dispatcher orders
enough of the grid capacity to increase or decrease their output. In
this way
the grid frequency and phase can be brought back to align all the clocks to
the correct time.