[time-nuts] Re: Power line timing -- setting a clock

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Sun Mar 24 18:01:14 UTC 2024

Erik E. Fair said:
> Ah, one more on clocks based on grid frequency:
> https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/european-clocks-six-minutes
> -late-serbia-kosovo-electricity-grid-spd

Clive Blackledge mentioned one of Tom Scott's videos.
Time sink warning.  He's good.  Interesting, not very nutty.  YMMV.

He's got one on that event:
  European clocks ran slow for a bit. British clocks didn't.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bij-JjzCa7o
  4 minutes

He has several others that are time related.

  How does Britain know what time it is?
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqciKS_N0K8
  5 minutes.  NPL's MSF/Anthorn at 60KHz.

  Why Denmark used to be .04 seconds behind the world
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRz-Dl60Lfc
  7 minutes.  Legally, Denmark was still on solar time.

Peter Reilley said:
> In the plants that I installed they had a synchroscope and two light bulbs.
> The both performed the same function.

Here is a video of starting a hydro plant:
  (Lots of moving dials and blinking lights and noise.)
  How to Start and Sync a 400,000 Watt Turbine Hydroelectric Generator
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGQxSJmadm0
  8 minutes.
(audio says 350 kW.)

GEO Badger said:
> People were happy to have power. Though as was stated before, very
> out-of-sync- will destroy a generator.

I can picture that sort of disaster, probably because somebody told me about
it when I was young and had a good imagination.  The idea stuck in my head has
the housing, including the concrete pad, neatly turned sideways, rotating 90
degrees around the main shaft connecting the turbine to the generator.

When was the last recorded disaster of that nature?  Any writeup?  (or photos
or video)

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.