[time-nuts] Re: Power line timing -- setting a clock

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Mar 25 12:18:15 UTC 2024

Hi

> On Mar 24, 2024, at 2:01 PM, Hal Murray via time-nuts <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:
>

> Erik E. Fair said:
>> Ah, one more on clocks based on grid frequency:
>> https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/european-clocks-six-minutes
>> -late-serbia-kosovo-electricity-grid-spd
>
> Clive Blackledge mentioned one of Tom Scott's videos.
> Time sink warning.  He's good.  Interesting, not very nutty.  YMMV.
>
> He's got one on that event:
>  European clocks ran slow for a bit. British clocks didn't.
>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bij-JjzCa7o
>  4 minutes
>
> He has several others that are time related.
>
>  How does Britain know what time it is?
>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqciKS_N0K8
>  5 minutes.  NPL's MSF/Anthorn at 60KHz.
>
>  Why Denmark used to be .04 seconds behind the world
>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRz-Dl60Lfc
>  7 minutes.  Legally, Denmark was still on solar time.
>

> Peter Reilley said:
>> In the plants that I installed they had a synchroscope and two light bulbs.
>> The both performed the same function.
>
> Here is a video of starting a hydro plant:
>  (Lots of moving dials and blinking lights and noise.)
>  How to Start and Sync a 400,000 Watt Turbine Hydroelectric Generator
>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGQxSJmadm0
>  8 minutes.
> (audio says 350 kW.)
>

> GEO Badger said:
>> People were happy to have power. Though as was stated before, very
>> out-of-sync- will destroy a generator.
>
> I can picture that sort of disaster, probably because somebody told me about
> it when I was young and had a good imagination.  The idea stuck in my head has
> the housing, including the concrete pad, neatly turned sideways, rotating 90
> degrees around the main shaft connecting the turbine to the generator.
>
> When was the last recorded disaster of that nature?  Any writeup?  (or photos
> or video)

Would that sort of dramatic event even happen?

Fuses do exist and they sometimes do blow. There are a variety of similar “protection”
approaches (shear pins ….) that could get designed in. Does the fuse blow before some
level of damage is done? It's very much a “that depends” sort of thing. You can do a
*lot* of damage (= destroy the generator) without it being very obvious from the outside.

Bob