[time-nuts] Re: Power line timing -- setting a clock

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Sun Mar 24 20:56:04 UTC 2024

I don't immediately find the reference now, but my recollection is that
there was relaxation in the requirement to maintain accurate mains
frequency a few years ago. About that time, I began to notice my
mains-synched digital clocks began to not keep accurate time.

All I can tell you with good confidence is that my home digital clocks
that are synched to the mains no longer keep accurate time here where I
live in Anaheim. And, I am very confident all those appliance clocks
still roll the displayed minute simultaneously when I have set them
accurately as I usually do. I am confident these clocks are counting
cycles correctly. I watch time carefully as TimeNuts do!

However, Anaheim may be an unusual or perhaps a special case as the City
of Anaheim is my electric utility provider. The city owns the power line
distribution system, buys power at a wholesale level and sells it
directly to city residents. Our electric utility does not follow the
rules or pricing structure our nearby public electric utility does. For
example, Anaheim has only a the usual baseline price per kWh and then
one--and only one--rate change after that for residential users. The
public electric utility stair-steps the rate at least four times.

Further, Anaheim owns, and operates within the city, seven large natural
gas-fired turbine peaking generators; these fill at least a 4 city
blocks square area. My electric energy cost is always a bit lower than
that of surrounding cities.

Does that have any relevance to this time-keeping by mains frequency
issue? I have no idea. When I want accurate time, I use my GPS clocks.
But, it is annoying to always see my appliance and desk clocks display a
time different than by GPS. Truly, I have seen these mains-synched
clocks as much as 20 seconds off GPS time; on a short-term basis, the
displayed time might be slow (the usual case) or fast.

Anaheim owns part of the Four Corners power generation system and used
to own part of the San Onofre nuclear station (now being disassembled).
I believe much of the major intertie network is actually dc, so
frequency is not a consideration in that case.

Both my Heathkit WWV GC-1000 (in HI SPEC) clocks and my Geppetto GPS
clocks display time to tenth-seconds. I have one set of these clocks
side-by-side and the seconds digits roll together within less than a
tenth-second by slow motion video.

"Youse guys" can quote regs about maintaining mains for clock accuracy,
but it is not working here. Anaheim is the largest city in Orange
County, California, with a population of some 340,000+. Remember
Disneyland? Yep, here in Anaheim.

Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB