[time-nuts] Re: Power line timing -- setting a clock

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Sun Mar 24 15:55:44 UTC 2024

On Sun 2024-03-24T10:42:13-0400 Peter Reilley via time-nuts hath writ:
> Many breakers have an auto-close feature.  After a certain time,
> generally just a few 60 Hz cycles, they will re-close automatically.
> They will repeat this a certain number of times and then remain open.�
> You may notice this as the lights flickering.  During this time you
> will loose a few cycles.  A non auto-close breaker will stay open
> until an operator manually closes it.

In much of the western grid this is no longer the case.  Once the
power company ran ads touting how auto reclosers made the power more
reliable to protect its customers from darkness.  Now the power
company runs ads touting how this does not happen to protect its
customers from wildfires.  We are not supposed to notice this shift.

--
Steve Allen                    <sla at ucolick.org>              WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB 260  Natural Sciences II, Room 165  Lat  +36.99855