[time-nuts] Re: Power line timing -- setting a clock

Peter Reilley preilley_454 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 24 14:42:13 UTC 2024

There are a few things to consider here.   First is that California is
part of the western grid.
The western grid is certainly not out by more than a few seconds at most
at any particular
time but it will always make up the slippage to restore the correct
time.   Clocks on the
grid will be correct on average.   There are web sites that track this.

Your particular case:
1)   At times a section of the grid may break away from the western grid
because of equipment
failure.   During this time the local grid will be working to restore
the local grid stability.
They wont worry about maintaining the correct time.   Eventually they
will reconnect to
the western grid.   You may not notice this.

2)   Your local circuit will have circuit breakers at substations. A
fault on your local circuit,
like a tree branch touching the line, will cause the breaker to open.
Many breakers have
an auto-close feature.   After a certain time, generally just a few 60
Hz cycles, they will
re-close automatically.   They will repeat this a certain number of
times and then remain
open.   You may notice this as the lights flickering.   During this time
you will loose
a few cycles.   A non auto-close breaker will stay open until an
operator manually closes
it.

There are probably a few other scenarios where a section of the grid may
loose correct
time keeping but the main grid will always strive to be correct on average.