[time-nuts] Re: Power line timing -- setting a clock

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Sat Mar 23 01:51:53 UTC 2024

I believe the local electric generation utilities have largely divested
themselves of maintaining an accurate 60 Hz mains frequency, both
instantaneously and total cycles per day.

I know that my home clocks that count cycles from the power lines no
longer show accurate time. In fact, compared to GPS time, I often see
more than 5 seconds error in just a week's time, here in Southern
California.

If I don't reset those power-line (no crystal reference) clocks, I've
surely seen errors of 30 seconds accumulate. That holds true for
stand-alone power-line clocks and the clocks in microwave ovens and
kitchen appliances. But, all those clocks in appliances roll the minute
digit about simultaneously, when the time had been set accurately to the
second. This indicates the various appliance clocks are counting cycles
accurately, but the cycle count per day varies and is not well maintained.

All those appliances loose the time setting when there is a power
failure. It is probably mild OCD, but I try to set all those clocks
using a GPS clock and to the second. I used to rely on a mains-frequency
clock for A/V timing but now I use a GPS Clock by Nick Sayer, sold on
Tindie; it displays time to tenth-second. This GPS time is closely
tracked by my Heathkit WWV (not WWVB) Most Accurate Clock; a few days
after carefully setting a mains frequency appliance clock, the time is
very typically seconds off GPS time.

-Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB