[time-nuts] Re: Power line timing -- setting a clock

ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de
Sat Mar 23 01:50:23 UTC 2024

Am 2024-03-21 11:13, schrieb Hal Murray via time-nuts:

> All sorts of gear uses the power line to drive their clock.
> Is there any way to get a copy of their power line clock?  So I can set
> my
> power line clocks to a similar offset so they will have a better chance
> of
> being right tomorrow after they correct for today's offset?  I'm not
> looking
> for microseconds, just microwave-setting accuracy.
>
> Do they have a graph showing the offset for the last week or month?  I
> can
> line that up with my graphs.

In feb 2018 the European net was late some minutes because it was
unclear
who had to pay / provide power + blind power compensation for some
Balcanese
enclaves / exclaves. Easy to check at home with Stanford SR-620 +
Lucent GPS receiver + 9V AC wall wart + attenuator as DUT.

<
https://www.flickr.com/photos/137684711@N07/38870750440/in/datetaken/

They managed to sort that out.

For uwave frequency setting it is useless in my opinion. Just imagine
the
phase noise multiplying up from 50/60 Hz to 10 GHz or so. It would be
a mole hill in X-band.

cheers,  Gerhard