[time-nuts] Re: Power line timing -- setting a clock

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Tue Mar 26 00:31:42 UTC 2024

Thank you, Walt, for reporting the time-inaccuracy of mains-synched
clocks that I see. I'm glad you are far distant from me, and so you have
data from a new location and generation utility.

I last set all my appliance and mains-synched clocks late on March 9, to
advance the time for DST. I just checked and all the mains-synched
clocks roll the minute digit simultaneously and all are now about 24
seconds fast of GPS time after about two weeks. Historically here, the
mains clocks being fast is unusual; it is more common for them to run
slow. But, a 24 second error is not unusual.

I'm in Southern California and Walt is in Washington, also on the west
coast but not near me. So, this mains frequency effect on old clocks is
not local to my independent-utility city.

Please folks, stop quoting specs that may or may not still be valid and
may or may not be complied with by electric generation utilities.
Instead, let's get data!

I have long set all my appliance clocks to the second, even though they
don't display seconds. The final button-push in the time-setting command
will start the clock time at the zero second. Try it! Use a
known-accurate (e.g. GPS) clock and set your appliance clocks, then
check them again in a few days or more against your accurate clock.
Report the results and your location. That's data!

I bought one of the new-Heathkit LED clock kits a few years ago; this
new design is a mains-synched clock. I have never built that kit but I
was disappointed to hear user complaints that it did not keep accurate
time. In fact, though, those that were assembled may just have been
showing the same mains-frequency issue we are discussing.

There are some cell phone apps that will read the phone's GPS and show
time to the second. I use "Sol Et Umbra" (it's a sundial application)
and "Atomic Time," which shows a sweeping second hand; both are free and
Android apps.

I recommend the Geppetto GPS Clock offered on Tindie; its red LED
display (including tenth seconds) closely resembles that of the old
Heathkit GC-1000 clock; the latest versions access multi-GNSS signals.

Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB