[time-nuts] Re: Power line timing -- setting a clock

Andy Talbot andy.g4jnt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 10:09:14 UTC 2024

Here in the UK we have a grid that is not synchronised to Europe which for
many years has kept to within +/- 20 seconds or so of UTC according to
my casual monitoring.  However, in the last decade, I've noticed the timing
excursions getting larger, perhaps to as much as -50s before it corrects
over the next few days. I almost certainly do not have the zero reference
correct, but I've definitely seen as much as one minute deviation overall
in a space of a few days to a week.

I have a continuous real time display of frequency and time discrepancy,
but it doesn't have logging - something I always intend to do but never get
a round tuit.   It's bit of an empirical observation, but I've noticed the
wider swings in timing are when the weather is windy, and even more so,
windy and sunny in summer when power generation (as reported by
https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/ )  has more than 50% coming from wind
and solar.

This makes sense as those two sources have no ability to control frequency
- they just generate at whatever frequency the Grid happens to be at. In
cold, windless dark conditions gas and nuclear provide the bulk of energy
and those are the ones National Grid have complete control over, so can
maintain timing more closely.

I can't help wondering if solar and wind inverters could be designed to
push energy into the grid with leading or lagging power factor.  The
ability to set PF from Nat-Grid central control would give them the same
advantage as being able to speed up or slow down the gas / nuclear
generation.  There is a huge base of wind generation already on place, and
this is being extended so it may be too late to ask for retrofitting, but
the inability to control frequency can lead to catastrophic instability and
cascade of minor faults - as witnessed in August 2019 when 10% of the UK
supplies automatically shut down to maintain a rapidly dropping frequency
caused by two simultaneous failures.   It was short lived before N-Grid
could correct things within tens of minutes, but still a "major failure".
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5d96100340f0b61743bd4cc3/20191003_E3C_Interim_Report_into_GB_Power_Disruption.pdf

There are manuy other reports on it worth a read.
It was August with  solar and wind generation up.  It was certainly windy
over that period as I was at a festival where tents were wildly flapping
and getting blown away. I suspect over 60% of the generation at the time
was wind.  The festival was all powered by local generators, so I would
never have noticed any grid power outage other than total internet failure
for a while that afternoon.

Andy
www.g4jnt.com