[volt-nuts] Way OT [WAS: do you like Labview in your labs?]

Marvin E. Gozum marvin.gozum at jefferson.edu
Tue Dec 7 13:17:04 UTC 2010

That's the locally famous former Wanamaker organ and store, now
Macys.  It works because folks are there to lollygag and shop, open
to suggestion, and its a known location for live classical organ
music for over a century.

If you are open to something, your sense of value will strike as soon
as something of value fell on your lap, software included.

I have strongest doubts on spontaneity just as the Bell subway
example was already biased for being suboptimal; 650 choir members
meeting in a lobby on Saturday can't be there to just shop; Macys
exists in so many more accessible suburbs; Philadelphia is notorious
for parking issues.  The video quality is too good compared to
"spontaneous" ones via cellphone video, to suggest that was planned
from the start; aka, marketing.  5,000,000 views is ~ a number
watching wrestling on TV and running a paid spot for Macys.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/nielsens-charts.htm

I think something that is less intellectual will stop a crowd: If
Starbucks set up a booth with free food, coffee, during morning rush
hour, will almost certainly create a stir than Mr. Bell.

Likewise in software, for users, neither open source or closed source
matters, what matters is it works and its easier to maintain over
time, if needed.