[volt-nuts] Way OT [WAS: do you like Labview in your labs?]

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Tue Dec 7 18:09:52 UTC 2010

> That's the locally famous former Wanamaker organ and store, now
> Macys.  It works because folks are there to lollygag and shop, open
> to suggestion, and its a known location for live classical organ
> music for over a century.
>
> If you are open to something, your sense of value will strike as soon
> as something of value fell on your lap, software included.
>
> I have strongest doubts on spontaneity just as the Bell subway
> example was already biased for being suboptimal; 650 choir members
> meeting in a lobby on Saturday can't be there to just shop;

The event was certainly not happenstance. It must have been carefully
planned. The only ones surprised were those not in on the prank, as
always.

> Macys
> exists in so many more accessible suburbs; Philadelphia is notorious
> for parking issues.  The video quality is too good compared to
> "spontaneous" ones via cellphone video, to suggest that was planned
> from the start; aka, marketing.  5,000,000 views is ~ a number
> watching wrestling on TV and running a paid spot for Macys.

Macys probably paid all the costs of the hack. It's since been done in a
bunch of other places. Once ius a showstopper. Done too often, it's a
PITA.

> http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/nielsens-charts.htm
>
> I think something that is less intellectual will stop a crowd: If
> Starbucks set up a booth with free food, coffee, during morning rush
> hour, will almost certainly create a stir than Mr. Bell.

Anything free draws a crowd, at least for a few seconds. Anything.

As to the violin at the subway, I don't know what he was playing, but a
long piece would certainly have drawn fewer stoppers than something short.

FWIW,

-John