[volt-nuts] Way OT [WAS: do you like Labview in your labs?]

Marvin E. Gozum marvin.gozum at jefferson.edu
Wed Dec 8 15:19:58 UTC 2010

Mea culpa for bringing up the thread, but to clarify my rationale,
IMHO as I understand the needs:

Establishing a volt requires 3 things: hardware for creating and
sustaining a volt, its accurate measurement, and tracking variations
through time.  To assist collecting data and measure its variation,
its best done in software.

Most discussion has initially centered on the building a stable a
zener based volt.  For accurate measurement, there was discussion on
the HP/Agilent 3458a, and other voltmeters.  But for tracking data
through time, not much.  I had initiated a query on its need 6+
months ago, and this generated a set of replies with some nice graphs
of volt/time over short duration, weeks or days.  And here we are at
the details now.

The question I raise was directed purely on the use of Labview or
write my own software, but it was related to the volt in this
way.  On the software, the issue digressed but was strong related to
whether a platform be open-source or commercial, and analogies to
that, but this was pertinent to long term maintainability.

I currently have 5 months of initial observation data, and I'm moving
to fully automate it so it requires minimal input from me and it just
runs, as I need at least 1-2 years of data to confirm degree of
seasonal variations.  This will best characterize ambient
temperature, pressure and humidity variations on a simple zener volt
reference; these phenomena have already been described in many
metrology papers.

Sincerely,

Marv Gozum
Philadelphia, PA