[volt-nuts] Fluke 883AB differential voltmeter

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 19 18:35:48 UTC 2010

The noise spec on the 845 is 0.2 uV (if I remember correctly).  Mine seems to be mostly within 0.1 uV.

As far as battery replacement,  I still used nicads (since I had them).  One advantage of nicads over nimh cells is they are more robust.  They tolerate overcharge better and have much better "shelf life".

On a lot of replacements I do use the low self discharge NiMH cells.  Their self discharge rate does seem to be greater than advertised...

For circuits that trickle charge nicads (at say C/12),  replacement with NiMH cells will give a C/36 charge rate (assuming three times the nicad capacity).   This is OK,  particularly if you don't leave them on charge permanently.

Speaking of overcharging NiMH cells...  I put a dead 3200 maH 6 cell pack on a constant 1.5 A charge and went to the local surplus store...  no problem...  back in a couple of hours.   Got stuck in a nasty traffic jam,  got back in 3.5 hours.   The pack had exploded and let the magic smoke out of one of the cells...  actually magic carbon dust.  Parts of the pack were scattered over a 10 foot radius.  Nasty black powder everywhere...  parts of pack stuck to walls...  etc...