[volt-nuts] Cheap Oscilloscope measurement of small current?

Peter Loron peterl at standingwave.org
Thu Nov 4 23:07:40 UTC 2010

Hello, all. I'm working (very slowly, but working) on some designs that
will be battery (and possibly solar) powered sensors with a wireless
data backhaul (likely 433 or 915MHz).

As part of my never ending quest for more tools, I'm starting to educate
myself on what I may need to get measurements on current usage over time
for these devices. I want to be able to quantify power usage while it is
asleep, sensing, sending data, etc..."does changing this code shorten
the radio on time?"

I'm sure Agilent would be happy to sell me a fancy oscilloscope current
probe for more than my condo cost, but I'm looking for something more
cost effective.

Suggestions from the hive mind?

Thanks.

-Pete