[volt-nuts] Fluke 720A Kelvin Varley Divider Questions

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Sun Sep 19 20:09:27 UTC 2010

Hi Charlie,

As Greg points out the 720 is calibrated by the user.  You will need a very good
null meter for the job.  The only one worth a damn is the Fluke 845, so you
should hunt around for one of those in good shape.  There are two versions, a
rack mount and a portable.  The portable IS better then the rack mount because it
has higher isolation; i.e., leakage.

The portable is battery operated, so if you can inspect the unit before buying,
make sure to check that the batteries have not leaked inside.  The original
batteries are NiCd that, by today's standards, are fairly low current rating.  I
replaced my worn out batteries with the much higher capacity 2700 ma/hr NiMh
batteries.  However, you will need to keep the switch in the charge mode as these
batteries have a higher self-discharge rate.  The original charging current level
in the 845 is low enough to not hurt the NiMh and essentially trickle charges
them.  If it is a concern, you can always lower the charge rate.

However, if you can only find the rack mount (not battery operated by the way),
don't pass it up either as it will do the job.

The only gotcha to keep in mind is there is an older series and newer series.
The outside difference is the color scheme.  The older are a dual gray color and
the newer has a very light pastel green color on the face plate.  Internally, the
newer series has a different photo-chopper block that is way more easily
reparable.  The older series would be very hard to fix if the older chopper block
is bad as they are not interchangeable.

If I may suggest studying the manual on the 720 and the 845 to become familiar
with them before buying.

Bill....WB6BNQ