[volt-nuts] DIY JJ was Re: HP 3458A

Marvin E. Gozum marvin.gozum at jefferson.edu
Tue Aug 9 11:46:10 UTC 2011

I too.  But to raise a skeptics eye, the fundamentals of design is
one of material chemistry and requires a different skill set.

 From NIST papers, a JJ would require IC style fabrication, in order
to get the sandwich of super and nonsuperconducting material to the
right dimensions.  Building a simple transistor would be an exercise
for the JJ, and since Lilienfeld's FET, from 1925 to Shockley in
1949, DIY transistors have only recently been attempted and if
successful, are far inferior in capability than any 20c 2n2222 you
can get at Radio Shack.  It suggests to me the success rate of
getting high tolerance layers are fairly slim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephson_Effect

Looking even at the venerable work at time nuts, folks maintain
purchase standards, not hand build from raw materials, then most of
the discussion is product maintenance and calibration.

At volt nuts, most of the discussions of DIY volt center around
purchasing and maintaining surplus Fluke standards or similar zener
or band gap style reference, and maintaining them too.

This suggests that a volt nuts JJ would likely be when someone
produces a JJ in a box that, like a Cs or Rb clock, still requires
substantial upkeep and maintenance just as the surplus clocks are
maintained by the time nutters, or Fluke standards maintained here.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/multimedia/2007/12/gallery_time_hackers?slide=9&slideView=10

A realistic possibility is awaiting when salvaged 'high temperature'
N2 cooled SQUID devices are available and design a JJ around it.

At 07:06 PM 8/8/2011, Chuck Harris wrote:
>Volt-nuts is to voltage measurement and standards as time-nuts is to
>time measurement and standards.  It should include everyone with an
>interest in maintaining voltage (current/resistance) standards.
>
>I, for one, would like to learn about making JJ voltage standards in
>a volt-nut setting.
>
>-Chuck Harris

Sincerely,

Marv Gozum