[volt-nuts] Battery pack info for Fluke 731B

Dave M dgminala at mediacombb.net
Mon Aug 22 01:41:37 UTC 2011

> David,
>
> The battery pack is made up of 12 cells that are 2/3 A cells.  Energy
> Sales
> in Redmond, WA, made the pack for Fluke and can still make up a pack
> (minimum charge is $100 for 1 pack) but I gave up at the thought of
> $100.
> However, I never asked how much for 2 or 3 packs.
>
> The currently available pack (made up special when you order) uses
> 'upgraded' 600 mAH batteries and they are NiCd.  Therefore, I suspect
> the
> original battery pack was something less than 600 mAH.
>
> I have two of the 731B's and made up a replacement battery pack out
> of 12
> AAA NiCd cells in 3 Radio Shack 4 cell battery holders that I taped
> to the
> bracket that holds the battery pack.  It seems to work great for my
> two.
>
> The website for Energy Sales is:
>
> http://www.energy-sales.com/
>
> The part number for the pack is ES-1122.  If you are inclined to
> order 'the
> original' battery pack, we could inquire what price for 3 or 4 packs
> and perhaps get a better price.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Joe

Thanks for that info, Joe.  I had guessed that the cells used in the pack
were 2/3A size, but wasn't sure of the maH rating. The manual says the
battery will run the instrument for about 40 hours, so it must be pretty
easy on the battery.
I used a ddifferent supplier to build packs for me before
(http://www.batterystation.com).  They can build a custom pack in just about
any configuration you want (for a very small additional charge).  I found
the 2/3A 1050 maH cells on their site for $1.90 each.  However, these cells
are not available to be made into a pack, so I ordered the 12 cells
necessary to build my own pack.  Tabs are available at no extra charge, so
be sure to specify if you order.  That will make life considerably easier
when you assemble them into a pack.
They have the large shrinkwrap available as well, so it would be easy to
build a complete pack on your bench.  Tabbed cells, a hot glue gun,
shrinkwrap, and you're set to go for about $30.

David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net