[volt-nuts] Solartron 7081 testing

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Sun Dec 4 23:23:09 UTC 2011

Mickle,

Happy to help.

The meter I have I got from a list member in California for a reasonable
price.  It seemed to work OK but I researched the original manufacturer and
sent it to AMETEK in Oak Ridge, TN, who, in turn, sent it to AMETEK in
England, the current 'owner' of Solartron/Schlumberger, who ceased 'full
support' for the 7081 in 2008.  However, they still support it 'best
efforts' and returned my unit with a full set of CAL data along with the
removed and replaced parts consisting of a back up battery, the front panel
connector and three 1K resistors, all for $800, including return shipping.
My shipping to Oak Ridge was about $50.

If you would like a copy of the calibration data, I can send it to you.

I have generally left it on for weeks at a time and I can repeat the test,
warmed up, if you like.  I have left it connected to a Fluke 731B along with
two 3458A's.  Interestingly, the 7081 seems to be the most stable.  After a
few days, the 3458A's will be 5 or 10 uV off but, after an 'ACAL ALL', they
come back very close, typically about 1 uV from the 7081.

My 3458A's have not been calibrated yet but will be just as soon as I figure
out how to read the CALRAM via HPIB.  That is proving to be quite the
challenge.  I am going to need some serious education in IEEE 488.2 before
this is all over.

Sounds like you are quite dedicated to digesting all the intricacies of the
7081.

Joe