[volt-nuts] 3458A - To Modify or Not To Modify?

Bob Smither smither at c-c-i.com
Sun Nov 6 19:07:53 UTC 2011

J. L. Trantham wrote:

<snip>

> Solder suckers and desolder braid have been my tools.  I'll have to also
> look at the possibility of adding a 'vacuum' type desolder iron.  I have a
> real cheapie that uses only a bulb that I have never been particularly fond
> of but perhaps I could hook it up to an external vacuum then trigger the
> vacuum at the appropriate time.

I have a Pace vacuum desoldering station that has served for many years.
  Recently it seems to have lost its "oomph" and I bought a Hakko 808 unit:

   http://www.frys.com/product/2760813?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

A little pricey, but I have been very happy with the Hakko unit.

Bob Smither, PhD                                 Circuit Concepts, Inc.

                 AT&T - Your world. Delivered. To the NSA.
                   http://www.eff.org/legal/cases/hepting

Smither at C-C-I.Com           http://www.C-C-I.Com           281-331-2744