[volt-nuts] 3458A - To Modify or Not To Modify?

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Sun Nov 6 23:42:41 UTC 2011

The answer to a Pace desoldering station that has lost its "oomph" is
to let it pump alcohol for a while.  What happens is the rosin flux vapors
get into the pump and solidify.  That tends to cause the spring loaded
graphite vanes in the pump to get sticky and lag in their ability to follow
the cylinder walls as the pump spins...you lose your pumping action.

Pumping the alcohol dissolves the rosin, and frees the graphite vanes, and
restores pumping efficiency.

-Chuck Harris