[volt-nuts] Review: Vishay Z foil resistors as Secondary Ohm Standards

Rob Klein rob.klein at smalldesign.nl
Sun Nov 20 22:59:12 UTC 2011

Frank,

Unfortunately, your results closely match my findings on a batch of four
VHP202ZT's that I bought almost two years ago with
the same purpose in mind.

While the initial accuracy and the stability with respect to thermal
hysteresis are both excellent, I too found TC's that are nowhere near
the 'typical' value specified by Vishay. Neither could I find any trace
of the parabola curve.

Very similar results were found for a group of 10 Z201's (the
non-hermetic version of the VHP202).

Having since acquired an SR104, the actual 'need to build' has gone, but
I must say I was (and still am) severely disappointed
with these findings. Although, as an experienced electronics engineer, I
should know better than to follow 'typical' values on
a datasheet, I feel there is a certain element of false advertising
involved here. I find it very hard to swallow that, out of 14 units
tested, not a single one comes even close to the performance we're led
to believe they are capable of.
One wonders what Vishay's definition of "typical" is.

- Rob.