[volt-nuts] Traveling Standards

Fred Schneider pa4tim at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 07:20:00 UTC 2011

I am thinking about doing a bit calibrating as a sort of service and to earn some money to spend on calibrating my stuff ( p.e. the 731A transfer standard) with our national standard buro. so not to make money on it, just to cover expenses.

But he problem is I, have no clue what to ask and if there is. Market. I have a mint condition guildline cabinet with known documented history and from the first user. So I can, after the return of the transfer, compare it with my guildline and have a longtime stable reference. But a calibration here is not as cheap as in the states I think. A friend had a tek current probe calibrated, that was over 500 dollar. But i think most " customers" will have a 4.5 or 5.5 DMM and in that case my cells and calibrators are allready good enough.

I bought a new calibrated keithley 2000. As soon as It arrived I warmed it up and measured my cells and calibrators , that I allready had warm up, and documented that. The cells where less then 3 uV away from the last documented calibration and still spaced appart like they where then. So for a 5,5 digit i will be close enough. An old secondhand bought 6,5 digit will be closer then it was.
I have a the 4 cell guildline cabinet, 731A, 332, 750, 760, 720, philips DC volt/current calibrator, and. Fluke 5xx AC calibrator. Besides that a GPS controlled thunderbold Oscillator, a HP 5 MHz standard, counters connected to the 10 MHz ref upto 18 GHz so I can do counters too. Also have timemark en pulsgenerators for scope adjustment but that really is on scopes like tek 7000 or 500 series very much labour if you do not have the calibration plugins. A normal scope is still about 10 hours work.

The problem is I have plenty of time but i am a bit disabled so I can not work long periods and that means two hours warming up, work an hour on the instrument and rest for an hour so it would take me days. The calibration of my 7704 , witch is rather complex took me two weeks. A simple 547 3 days. A letter plugin about 2 to 4 hours. A DMM like a fluke 8000 or HP3535 is done in about 2 hours, a keithley 199 doing the memory calibration is done in an hour or so but a HP3490 is many hours of work. (and there is the problem of shipping and risk invalved. There can be people trying to missuse your service by sending not functioning gear and telling you broke it or it gets dammaged or lost in the mail.)

Are there voltnuts how do such project to earn back a calibration. Are there other Dutch volt-nuts here ?

I do not know there is market for this in the Netherlands. Not much voltnuts around and we Dutch are famous for our cheapiness. I am very active on a very big electronics forum, there are about 4 other volt nuts there, who probably would spent 50 euro or so on a calibration. The rest ( about 80 % i think) use there holy 5 tot 30 bucks multimeter. A 50 euro model is considerd to be rreal expenive and overkill. Cheap is holy around here and being cheap made to an art.
Lot of topics about Rigol, atten and owen scopes asking if it is wise to buy because it is a lot of money and or if  someone knows a cheaper brand or model  :-(
But a calibrion is looking what the deviation is, most think a calibration is the same as adjusting it whitin specs. I do that with my own gear and for a lot of gear that is a hell of a job. And to do that for 50 euro does not sound tempting.
Fred PA4TIM

Op 1 sep. 2011 om 07:45 heeft Stan Katz <stan.katz.hk at gmail.com> het volgende geschreven: