[volt-nuts] Traveling Standards

Fred pa4tim at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 12:22:09 UTC 2011

Hi Greg,

No, I am not working in electronics, just hobby so I'm not a interesting
custommer for them. I needed parts for my 720. I mailed the service
department, I got a mail returned it was handed over to the service
manager and after that no replays, that was the last thing I heard. I do
not think they care much about collectors who are, in their eyes,  no
possible custommer However, I was planning to buy a new 8846A or agilent
at that time. it became a Keithley . I was honnest in my mail and I
wrote I'm a collector and not a company. Maybe that was stupid to do.

Keithley and Guildline are better in that. I mailed keithley about
advise on a good meter for amateur use because the agilent missed some
things I wanted and Fluke... see above, and they phoned me back the same
day to make me a special offer because they liked my
collection/website :-)
I wrote guildline with questions about the standardcel cabinet and got
mail with an old brochure they scanned special for me from the archive,
technical advise on how to restore the foam in the oven and offered help
if I got stuck.

I have a 731A, the Fluke plan is for the 732. I still not trust my 731.
It is reactive on powersupply changes, it is not a very clean output and
even a 10Meg multimeter causes the output to go a few hunderd uV down.
But it regulates so the reference and opamp must be working. All
voltages are correct. Problem was the batterypack was dead and they
changed thing inside to overcome this. There was a big zener instead of
the nicads but no caps or so and that gave a rather big ripple on the
output. I then placed a 7812 but that was no better, placed bigger caps,
no solution and then I made all original and mounted two nicad battery
packs and then it was a little better but not close to the stability of
my 332. Problem is I do not know what type of reference is insite. Only
a fluke partnumber.
So I made myself a few references, just as a test. Not with very good
parts but that gave allready better results as the Fluke so I plan to
use the 731 to replace the Vref with the best reference (do not know
whitch one yet) there is (under 50 dollar :-). Get rid of the batterys
and make a very good (external) powersupply after a 7815 using a TL431,
or several parallel and a percision opamp to get enough current and a
stable clean 12V.

Fred