[volt-nuts] Solartron 7081, other meters, and some voltage standards

gbusg gbusg at comcast.net
Sat Sep 3 03:08:15 UTC 2011

To invoke 'ACAL ALL':

1. Press "Auto Cal"
2. Press the 'down' arrow to scroll thru menu, stopping at "ACAL ALL"
3. Press "ENT"
4. Wait a couple of minutes while ACAL automatically re-generates new ACAL
correction constants.

Note: The 'down' arrow is below the LCD display area.

ACAL generates new temporary cal constants based on internal measurements.
For example it re-generates a digital correction constant for DCV gain so
that, despite DC circuit gain drift over time, the meter once again "sees"
the internal zener reference voltage as equal to the voltage it measured the
last time a Cal Lab performed digital adjustment (of your 3457A against
external standards including a precision voltage reference). In other words,
immediately after ACAL, your 3457A error at 10Vdc will mostly be a function
of the drift of its internal zener voltage reference. Drift due to other
causes will mostly be subtracted-out during ACAL.

ACAL is invoked by (and is the responsibility of) the end-user.

Digital Calibration (against external standards) is a different thing, not
to be invoked unless one has access to the right, precision standards.

Now that we know you didn't invoke ACAL yet, it will be interesting to see
how different the results are. (They will be different.)

Let us know.

Greg