[volt-nuts] Reference Calibration Options - Solartron 7081andFluke 731B and 335A

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Sat Sep 10 02:09:26 UTC 2011

I have still not gotten the reply from AMTEK.  The questions I asked were
for the details of the calibration (though I did not ask specifically about
adjustment, just assumed that it was part of the calibration) and what
services (primarily repair) and products (manuals, test cables, etc.) they
had for the 7081.  As far as the 731B's and 335A go, I think I will wait on
the 7081 to get back (assuming they are not just blowing me off) then
measure the 731B's since Fluke offers no repair service.  If I read the
manual correctly, I think I will have a chance of bringing them to spec
myself.

The 335A seems to have another issue that I will explore over the weekend.
There is about 5 mV of ripple on the output.  I think I am going to need to
delve into the beast for a 'rebuild' with probable replacement of the power
supply capacitors and perhaps others.  Since the cost of this calibration is
the higher of the Fluke costs and the 'rep' on the beast per the list is
'suboptimal', I think I will keep this 'inhouse' and rebuild and recalibrate
myself, after I get the 7081 issue resolved.

Pending all the above, I may then send one of the 731B's in for an
'official' Fluke calibration to act as a verification of the 7081.

I would surely like to add something like the 3458A to the collection but
the price seems prohibitive.  For my needs, if I can get the 7081 cal'd, it
will more than meet my needs.

Joe