[volt-nuts] Voltage Reference Mini-Oven

ws at Yahoo warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 19:27:58 UTC 2011

Here is another reason the Opamp is not listed as a "critical" part.

It is easy enough to remove the effect of its offset error without needing
any additional test equipment.
With about a 100 to 1 resistor divider added across the amps inputs, one
just needs to then adjust the opamp's zero offset so there is minimal change
then switching one of the opamps inputs between the actual error signal and
the divided down error signal.

Example:
Say the amp is being used as a neg gain of one with two 10K ohm resistors.
The amp's plus input is to ground and the neg input is connected to the
summing junction of the two 10K resistors.
Add two more non-critical resistors in series, a 500K to the 10K summing
junction and a 5 k to ground.
To zero the amps offset, adjust for min change at the output when switching
the opamps neg input between the normal summing junction and the 100 to 1
divider

Now this manual adjustment can be used to remove all zero offset of the
opamp before (and while) any critical measurements are being made.

ws

Don't forget that you can have 1uV per C just from the opamp offset voltage.
That makes three critical parts.