[volt-nuts] Removal of tinning from copper wire

David C. Partridge david.partridge at perdrix.co.uk
Mon Sep 19 13:27:16 UTC 2011

ISTR from many years in my past that Copper Sulphate and Salt can be used an etchant to remove tin and other plating from copper.   Does someone know the relevant quantities to use to make up about 100ml of etchant?

Relevance to this list is that I have some gold flashed electrolytic copper spades, and a suitable four core plus guard cable, but want to strip the tinning off the wire to make low thermal EMF leads.

I have crimp tools and also have a small amount of Sn/Cd solder I found in an old Marconi RF meter.  Which would be the better to use to make the connection?

PS Why do the interesting discussions about Solartron 7081 meters happen while I'm on holiday and have suspended my subscription?

PPS How were those leakage currents in the errant 7081 measured?   If you reply to the list about this please start a new thread.

Thanks
Dave