[volt-nuts] Fluke 335A

Dick Moore richiem at hughes.net
Tue Sep 27 04:37:30 UTC 2011

Joe, your 335 is better than my 332D was -- zero stability was the most annoying, since there really wasn't any stability, although AC noise wasn't a big problem -- as Greg points out, using longish integration times on the meter really helps with that. I tried a variety of solutions, and while I got some improvement, I didn't get what I wanted. Then I picked up a 5440B, and that basically solved my issues with stability.

A battery has low AC noise -- just basically the Johnson noise of its source resistance, which for a D cell is pretty low. As you note, with batteries (or Weston/Eppley cells) it's the DC drift, including temperature sensitivity, that gets you.

At first blush, I like Warren's little zener circuit overall as a very simple and effective way to get low-noise, low-drift DC of a known value -- add a chopper amp like an LT1150 and a couple of wire-wound low-TC resistors and that's a great 10V source.

Dick