[volt-nuts] Best Vref part ?

Andreas Jahn Andreas_-_Jahn at t-online.de
Fri Sep 30 21:50:24 UTC 2011

Hello Fred,

do you want to have a stable voltage (calibrator) or do you
want to use this reference with an ADC for precise measurements?

I tried many 5V-references for an 24Bit LTC2400 ADC.
>From LT1027, LT1021 and LT1236 the LT1027 is the best.
Similar performance I have found with a MAX6250A but
my device seems to have some popcorn noise of around 1-2 ppm.

I use a simple NTC temperature sensor to do a 3rd order
polynomal compensation of the tempco of the reference.
(see picture on 09.09.2011 in this list).

I use LT1027CCN8-5 references and the stability after ageing
is mainly determinded by relative humidity. (0,4 ppm / % rH)
after having calculated the tempco out of the reading.
Ageing is less than humidity influence during the last year.
The references are now running since 3 years.

To get humidity factor off  I buyed 2 hermetically tight
 VRE3050AS from Digikey. But with my 2 devices
have horrible noise (factor 3-5 over LT1027).
Hysteresis I have measured on the first of the
2 VREs and found 4-5ppm compared to
the LT1027 with about 1-2ppm.

With best regards

Andreas