[volt-nuts] Agilent 3458A Positive Experience

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Fri Feb 10 14:09:52 UTC 2012

Several months ago, I decided to pursue a 3458A.  I sought advice on this
list as well as calling the Agilent Cal Lab in Loveland, CO, speaking with
Gary Biermann who was most helpful in guiding my thoughts, basically
favoring vintage units at the right price rather than new units for reasons
that will become clear below.

I acquired two 3458A's, an HP unit from 1997 and an Agilent unit from 2003.
Both seemed to work well and seemed to be identical, particularly the A5
boards.  I decided to modify the A5 boards, installing sockets for the EPROM
and all 3 of the Dallas NVRAM's.  I managed to lose the data in the CALRAM
from the HP unit, by trying to read the chip while still warm from the
removal process, requiring me to 're-cal' the meter using 'in house'
equipment.

After leaving the meters on for several weeks, with all functions seemingly
correct, I sent both to Agilent for their Agilent Calibration for $579.81
each.  Both passed (with my 'home-cal'd' unit being off on only 2 of the AC
ranges and the Agilent unit being off only in the DC Gain) and were returned
in about 10 days, amazingly fast.

A few days after their return, Gary Biermann called to ask how the meters
were doing, something I was not expecting at all.  After a pleasant chat, he
invited me to consider their Agilent Repair Agreement, which both units were
now eligible for as a result of having successfully passed the calibration.
The Repair Per Incident price is now $2835.98.  It was about $2300 and
change when I started this process several months ago.  The Repair Agreement
is $175.20 per year (as it was several months ago) with a 2% discount for
multiyear agreements up to a maximum of a 5 year agreement.

I called Agilent and asked to purchase the Repair agreement.  They were a
bit unsure of whether or not I could do that on those meters.  I explained
that Gary Biermann had told me the meters were eligible and they immediately
stated that 'he's the man'.  Within two days, I had a formal quote for the
agreement and wound up purchasing a 5 year agreement for both units.

I had read a number of posts about dealing with Agilent on these meters and
can personally attest that Agilent was an absolute pleasure to deal with and
Gary Biermann went 'above and beyond', taking a personal interest in these
meters and that they function to spec's.

Hope this helps someone else in their decision making.

Joe