[volt-nuts] Solartron 7061 help request (eeprom?)

FabioEb at quipo.it FabioEb at quipo.it
Sun Feb 26 22:28:55 UTC 2012

> I also do not understand the refresh. Still not after this text, but
> that is because I do know nothing about digital stuff. I was
> thinking it as a sort of reset to factory calibration. But it writes
> the RAM to a EEPROM. Does that mean that the battery not hold the
> calibration I do in RAM when it
> is switched of for a while ? That would explain some problems. Or is
> it just in case the battery gets empty or  is replaced ? I did not
> dare to try it because I was afraid that I removed firmware or other
> things so my meter will not function.

Fred, as I understand and imagine the process should be this
(reading the 7061 manual):
when you calibrate the particular range you are storing the info
in ram, when you make refresh you store it in 2816 eeprom that
is electrically reprogrammable.
The battery is a nicad that I think is not suitable to store data
for long time (self discharge, low reliability), for this usually
instrument use lithium primary batteries.
The firmware should be stored in the 2 27C256 eproms that are
programmable (after cancellation under UV light) only in a
suitable programmer, so firmware should be safe.
The eeprom should not contain any important info, because I tried
to start the meter without it and it just functions the same.
Now my solartron is without battery, I tried to make a calibraiton
to the 10V range, it mantained the data until powered, after
it lose them and returned to default.
When I'll have a backup I'll try to make a refresh command and see
what happens.

> I heard from other 7061 users it can get very hot. The current draw
> is within specs. Without manual I do
> not know the allowed ripple or where to measure witch
> voltage, so I meaured on the filter caps for ripple and that did not
> look strange. To be sure I checke the
> caps and they were OK

What temperature does it reach?
I can measure the temperature rise in it if this can help
you.

> Besides a voltnut I'm a component measurement freak.
>  I have a whole arsenal of component testers, from ...
> build the new one in this old housing ( it is from a
>  beautifull tek 1S1 sample plugin)
>
> Fred PA4TIM

Wow that' called testing ! :)
I read your blog when I searched info about solartron.
I see also that you have a keithley 2000, what do
you think about it?
I'm searching one used for my lab, I would prefer the
2015 but the 2000 and 2700 all can be good for me.

Fabio.

P.S.
I'm still trying to setup correctly the mail reply,
sorry for the misplaced replys.

Op 26 feb. 2012 om 17:15 heeft
Михаил <timka2k at yandex.ru>
(Mickle) het volgende geschreven: