[volt-nuts] Small capacitance

Fred pa4tim at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 21:58:18 UTC 2012

Thanks you all for the usefull info. Very interesting

I can not find the app note/book about the "shunt" methode I use. I
thought it was Agilent but I have a lot of books about network analysis
so I can be wrong.

Agilent app note: 5989-5935EN describes the way to use a shunt
measurement for very low impedances. Port 1 sends the incident to the
DUT and  and the voltage drop over it is very low, the current high and
the combined resistance of the ports convert that to a voltage. A sort
of Kelvin measurement. You use S21 and a custom trace or calculate the
result. 25(Rho/(1-Rho))

To measure high impedances you use a series measurement like Ivan
writes.

But then I have to calculate. What I did in my high impedance
measurement was placing the High Z capacitor in shunt with 50 ohm. The
parallel impedance of the XL and the 50 ohm are parallel allmost 50 ohms
and a VNA is very accurate around 50 ohm. But I do a 2 port sweep and
use the RX as 50 ohm shunt and measure S11 because my VNA needs a two
port SP2 measurement to do the 12 term error correction and calculate
the right Cp from the resulting corrected S11. On my old HP8407 I use
just a 50 ohm terminator paralleled with the capacitor and a directional
bridge so maybe shunt methode is the wrong word in this case and a
better word is maybe parallel measurement. But with the HP VNA the
problem is my homemade bridge, that has only a 30dB directivity but the
results are usefull. I will test the S21 series methode too. Did that in
the pre-tests while I was searing the4 different ways.

Today I made a coaxial capacitor but I made a mistake. I made two
plastic inner rings to hold the center conductor in the tube. After
calculation the ringparts together have a bigger capacitance as the
airpart and because I do not know if it is PE or nylon I have no clue
about the value. between 16-18pF total. So I am gonna change the
internal rings into endcaps so there is no dielectrium other then air in
the tube.Mount it on a board and make the inner conductor slidable so I
can change capacitance.

Fred