[volt-nuts] HP 3457A calibration?

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Mon Aug 19 21:59:26 EDT 2013

Interesting video.

His 'cal certificate' shows no data other than 'in tolerance' and the
'standards' used to established that.

He also makes a point of the 'calibration counter'.

On the 3458A that I was able to 'kill' the 'cal RAM', the 'cal counter' was
at '1' when I received it.  When I finished doing my 'home cal' on a 'blank'
'cal RAM', the 'cal counter' was about 20 or so.  It appears that every
measurement that is calibrated increments the 'cal counter'.

I don't recall how many ranges the 3457A has but add them all up and that is
what I would expect the 'cal counter' to increment by once you finish a
'home cal'.

Since Agilent does all this via HPIB (at least that's what I think), it
increments the 'cal counter' only by '1' step.

I would opt for a 'cheaper' 'seems to be working' 3457A then send it to
Agilent for their calibration rather than spend extra for someone else's
calibration.

Joe
WB4BPP