[volt-nuts] current-nut question .. total waste of ones time type question

Brent Gordon volt-nuts at adobe-labs.com
Tue Apr 29 15:06:37 EDT 2014

Years ago I installed a TED-1000 (now obsolete) system from
<http://www.theenergydetective.com/>.  Their software is terrible but
the system works.  This system uses two current transformers and a
single voltage measurement system that all go inside your circuit
breaker box.  I don't recall the sampling rate (1 KHz maybe).  The
instantaneous voltage and current measurements are multiplied, summed,
and transmitted once per second.  The data is transmitted to a receiver
using the house wiring (similar to X-10).  People have hacked the system
to use their own receiver.

I haven't directly measured accuracy; monthly totals are usually about
5% low when compared to my electric bill.  The software compensates for
missing readings.  Resolution seems to be around 10 watts.

Brent