[volt-nuts] current-nut question .. total waste of ones time type question

Pete Lancashire pete at petelancashire.com
Tue Apr 29 16:48:50 EDT 2014

Getting 2 % is pretty easy, many commercial CT's at 0.3% at the
transformer, resistance of the wire from the CT to the load (burden in the
electrical world), and all the things that effect voltage measurements come
into play. A well designed setup can get to 0.5%.

Thanks to surplus a classic 5A CT can be found for a few $'s. More modern
instrument grade CTs are expensive unless you can grab one off the usual
auction places.

A "classic" 100A or 200A:5A is a good 4-5" square and can be as much as
2-3" thick.

Today you don't need the 5 Amps, heck 10-50 mA is good enough, so the size
can be smaller.

I've been trying to shoot for say 0.1% to 0.2%. Again for 'fun'.

Where some more fun comes in is when you get below 10%, that would be
10Amps using a 100A CT. The industry specs stop at 10%. A 0.3% transformer
is only 0.3% at full rating (and above).

Was just looking to see if anyone has come up with something new / low cost
/ etc.