[volt-nuts] 732A and Prologix received

Charles Black cblack at centurytel.net
Tue Aug 26 00:28:35 EDT 2014

My post on this thread earlier today seems to be lost (maybe the system
change) so I am re-posting some of it (corrected) since it's apropos to
the discussion.

Anyone who has calibrated (CAL 0 anyway) a 3458A has enough information
to deduce that lowest input short voltage is going to be a copper wire
since the meter is set to zero volts during calibration using a heavy
gauge (14 to 16) copper wire. This is very convenient since it is so
easy to duplicate in the field and makes simple inexpensive test leads
best for high precision measurements. In order for the 3458A to make
full accuracy measurements (8 digit) NPLC must be set to 1000 (according
to the User's Guide). If you use a lower NPLC value there is a table in
the User's Guide that can be used to determine how accurate your
measurements are going to be.

Just for fun I ran several shorts for NPLC 1000 on my 3458A. It has been
about a year since I clid my last CAL 0 so it was going to be
interesting at least for me. The first shunt was my test "U' shaped
shunt that I used for my last CAL 0. Note: STP = Shielded Twisted Pair.

Calibration shunt            -0.00021mv ± 10nV   Equilibration time 5
minutes. 14 gauge per Calibration Manual.
"U" heavy wire               -0.00021mv ± 10nV   Equil. time 5 minutes.
Used the through holes in the Input banana posts only.
Copper wire                     -0.00019mv ± 10nV   NAPA PVC covered
automobile wire at same contact points as CAL shunt
Standard Ground Plate  -0.00040mv ± 10nV   Equil. time 5 minutes. Gold
plated ground plate from my Datron 4910
Copper wire                     -0.00019mv ± 10nv   Equil. time 2
seconds. Used the banana through holes.
STP 2 meter test lead     -0.00021mv ± 10nV   Equil. time 2 seconds.
M27500 24 gauge STP Tefzel insulation.
Banana plugs                   -0.00021mv ± 30nV   Equil. time 20
minutes. My best "Perfect" gold plated plugs with copper wire.

Note that all my test shorts equilibrate to virtualy zero volts. There
is almost no Seebeck voltage for any of my test shorts as long as the
system is allowed to equilibrate. Equilibation times varied between less
than 2 seconds up 20 minutes with longer times due to excessive thermal
mass. Excessive thermal mass also caused some voltage instability.

Charlie