[volt-nuts] AC Voltage Measurement Standards

acbern at gmx.de acbern at gmx.de
Thu Jul 10 18:55:23 EDT 2014

I have a set of 7 TVCs, from 1 to 100V. having them all calibrated externally is just too expensive. There is no doubt that having all 7 TVCs calibrated at NIST or PTB, wherever you are, is much more precise, I will just not spend it and live with the accuracy I get.
As source I am using a Datron 4808, as nanovolt meter an Agilent 34420. Problem with this is, you pointed it out, Agilent does not specify transfer accuracy, I am in contact with them, so far no outcome though, not sure there will be any. So I have not yet completed my error calculation for the TVC cal. I will probably end up doing some calculations based on data sheet an then vaildate by measurement. Need that on the 10mv range only, so effort is limited. additionally I also have a ratio transformer, which is good to about 10kHz, that also allows for validating the TVC results by comparison in lower frequency ranges and narrow down the tolerances.
I do have a 182-M, but do not trust it, I saw a lot of drift doing some other measurements although it passes performance verification, and I just got a 2182, which has an issue that needs to be fixed first. I need to say the 34420a is very stable with the digital filter switched on and you can see the nanovolts walk until the TVC stabilizes. vice versa, if you have an issue in the setup (thermal drifts...), you also seethat very well, so the filter is not hiding this.
as far as your comment re. calibrating a set of resistor cal from one calibrated one, whats wrong with it? if you do that with a stable voltage and by voltage divider measurement using the linearity of the 3458A, you end up with pretty decent accuracies. I cannot comment on the 242, just did some quick checks some time ago and my quick assessment then was it is worse/not better than the 3458a method.