[volt-nuts] A Fluke 732A: Return it or keep it?

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Sat Mar 8 00:54:32 EST 2014

Michael wrote:

>The battery is big concern to me. When I called Fluke, one of the
>rep said it should be shipped to them "hot" Because 732A's battery
>life is very limited, it should be shipped using Morning Service. I
>was going to call FedEx if they have 12 hours service. And I belive
>most cal lab require the 732A to be delivered "hot." The manual says so.

No matter what you do, short of hand-delivering it if you live close
enough, the internal battery does not have enough charge to reliably
ship it, even overnight.  You will need to build or buy a shipping
container that has an auxiliary battery.  Fluke sells external
battery packs for $375, or you can make your own.

>Once I purchase one more 732A, I will experiment how close it come
>back to before turn-off value.

I have done that experiment a few times.  Mine have always come back
within one or two tenths of a ppm.  But there is always the chance
that one won't, so the practice is strongly discouraged once the unit
is all sorted and calibrated.

Best regards,

Charles