[volt-nuts] A Fluke 732A

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 9 18:02:39 EDT 2014

I have to side with Tom on this one. Accreditation only provides independant verifcation of processess and proceedures. It provides increased confidence (in both the human and statistical senses) in the service provided. It does not prove that your standard is correct. The typical time nut does not need accredited calibration. True, if a commecial cal lab is any good it will have accreditation, but if they only do work in-house they may not need it. If I could get access to a JJ in a local non accredited research lab to compare my 10V  reference to, I'd have very high confidence that it is correct. If  I can make repeated visits over time and document those, even better. I personally think that this would be better than hot shipping it to a remote accredited lab. It might also release limited funds for a second or third reference for even greater confidence. I've had to recall aircraft equipment that was mis-adjusted due to a bench test set being
 calibrated incorrectly. All the links in the chain were accredited and documented. This was finally traced to the manufacturers reference standard being off following calibration (at a high level). The conclusion was a shift during transport. They had calibrated several bench test sets before we caught it. It was only because the unit failed badly on this minor parameter during an aircraft check at the same base as the workshop and then failed again after repair that it was spotted. I continually complain about over calibration at work. For example 12 monthly calibration of variable bench DC power supplies. just stick an "indication only" sticker on them and use an external meter if the voltage is critical.

Robert G8RPI.