[volt-nuts] A Fluke 732A

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Mon Mar 10 08:33:01 EDT 2014

>I have to side with Tom on this one. Accreditation only provides
>independant verifcation of processess and proceedures. It provides
>increased confidence (in both the human and statistical senses) in
>the service provided. It does not prove that your standard is correct.

Documentation and accreditation are two entirely different
things.  Documentation is keeping track of a quantified chain of
inference leading to a conclusion regarding the uncertainty of a
measurement.  If documentation has not been done, there is no basis
for ANY claim about the uncertainty of a measurement.

Accreditation is the process of evaluating and auditing someone's
procedures (including their documentation) by a third party.

Accreditation is not necessary to have a basis for a claim of the
bounds of uncertainty of a measurement, but documentation is.

Best regards,

Charles