[volt-nuts] LM399 Long term drift specification

Tony Holt vnuts at toneh.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 19:06:56 EDT 2014

Andreas,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Actually I've seen many of your
postings on eevblog and here - you've clearly done a great deal of work
in this area and would like to thank you for making it available to us all.

On 11/09/2014 06:07, Andreas Jahn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> many questions I will keep it short:
>
> All ageing specs are "typical" if you want to have "guaranteed" values
> you will have to measure it over a reasonable time. (I recommend min 6
> months).
> Every treatment (soldering, mechanical/temperature shock) of a
> reference may create a new ageing cycle with different slope.

True. I guess that the new ageing cycle from soldering in an LM399 is
not going to be as bad as that for a surface mount plastic device.

> So 100ppm/15 years outside of "lab conditions" (23 deg , constant
> humidity) is something that I would not guarantee without re-calibration.

I had a feeling that would be the answer - though surely humidity
shouldn't be a factor as these are hermetic parts. The questions remains
though, what level might you specify - if you were forced to come up
with a number (ok a guess!) - for non-selected, non-pre-aged parts after
15years continuous operation without re-calibration? Obviously this is
given the context of the presumably limited numbers of samples you've
tested and I guess you wouldn't have bothered to further test early
rejects.

> Although typical drift of pre-aged + selected references will be in
> the 1-2ppm/year range if properly treated.

What would you classify as pre-aged? Do they need to be powered up or
can they be maintained at a suitable temperature? How many rejects would
you expect to get to get one that achieves 1-2ppm?

Is it known if the major instrument manufacturers preselect and burn-in
LM399s themselves for their middle-range instruments? I'm pretty sure
the top end kit will be all use carefully tested and selected parts, but
what about a 34401A for example? The basic accuracy spec for that is
20ppm for 90 days, 35ppm for 12 months so even a 20ppm guaranteed part
wouldn't be good enough, especially allowing margin for drift in other
components. I guess I just answered my own question!

> Also its meaningless if you want to have LT or National (TI) parts
> since LT is the only manufacturer which still produces them.
> With high demands you will also have to sort out the "noisy" references.
>
> Some "typical" LM399 (all from NS) ageing data can be found on web:
>
> http://www.gellerlabs.com/LM299AH-20_Case_Study.htm

That's very interesting. I have to agree that the raw data looks
suspect. I wonder what the rejection rate is for this 20ppm selection
and does it mean that non-selected parts have a high probability of
being worse than 20ppm?

> http://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/lm399-based-10-v-reference/msg478496/#msg478496
>

> With best regards
>
> Andreas

I just came across another part which looks very interesting given its
low cost - the automotive qualified REF5050-Q1. Although its only spec'd
as 3ppm/C typical, 8ppm/C max, that's using the box method over -40 to
+125C. The 'typical' chart however, figure 4, page 5 shows the gradients
to be very flat between 25 and 50. Its typical of course, so real parts
may be very different aka Vishay foil resistors. The 0 to 85C histogram,
fig 1 on page 5, do show the majority of parts being in the range
.75ppm/C to 1.75ppm/C which is pretty good, and with luck, in the 25 to
50C range may well be much better so a crude heating arrangement may be
worthwhile (made easier by the 5050's temperature output!)

I can't reconcile fig 4 with the histograms though; from the chart I
reckon the 0-85 typical is approx 65ppm/85C = .76ppm/C and for -40 to
125C is approx 310ppm/165C = 1.88ppm/C. Figs 1 and 2 though show modal
values of 1.25 and 2.25/2.5ppm/C. Am I doing something wrong or are
these specs inconsistent?

Even more surprising is the headline feature on page 1:

"EXCELLENT LONG-TERM STABILITY:
  – 5 ppm/1000 hr (typ) after 1000 hours"

Unfortunately that seems to be an error as the 'typical' spec on page 4 is:
90ppm (0-1000 hours)
10ppm (1000 to 2000 hours).

The chart (fig 23, page 8) showing 1000 to 2000 hour drift of 96 parts
show the worst case being +25ppm, with the bulk ending approx between 0
and 15ppm. I wonder if they carry on improving after 2kHrs?

That's definitely not the SQRT(1kHr) characteristic and is very
different from the standard REF5050 which quotes 100ppm (1st 100hours),
50ppm (1000 to 2000 hours).

If you are in a position to pre-age them for 1000 hours that 10ppm spec
is almost as good as the LM399 and best of all, TI quote a price of
$1.60 @ 1k parts, compared to $4.65 for LM399s @ 1k from Linear. One off
prices are rather more at $4.15 from Digikey (part no REF5050AQDRQ1) but
again is still a lot cheaper than an LM399 at $9.92. At $1.60 and .8mA
supply current, using 4, 8 or even dozens is a realistic proposition to
exploit statistical improvements and noise reduction.

Noise is a bit high at 15uVpp. They're also trimmable. Shame there isn't
an hermetic part though.

Anybody tried these or spotted the gotchas? Alternatively has anyone
here evaluated the hermetic LTC6655 for long term drift?

Tony H