[volt-nuts] Advise to Junior Member Regarding Acquisition of Fluke 5XXX Series Calibrator

Stan Katz stan.katz.hk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 02:04:10 EDT 2015

Gentlemen,

I concede that:
The need for an HP3458a is imperative.
The need for a Fluke 5440b or better is imperative.
As a minimum, a self constructed Hammon Divider is imperative and will
eliminate the need for a 720a to calibrate cardinal points down to the
100mv level.

However, with my limited metrology knowledge, it appears that a Kelvin
Varley divider is still imperative if one wishes to take a freshly
calibrated/certified 732a or 731b (call it standard "A") 1v "raw"  output
and create 1v +/- 2ppm on a second transfer standard.  If I'm correct, the
only means of converting the raw calibrated 1v output of standard "A" to 1v
+/- 2ppm on standard "B" is to lash up a configuration wherein the KV
divider is set to the reciprocal of the certificate value of the raw 1v on
calibrated "A". I may be somewhat lacking in the precision of my
description so I am including a procedure given in the HP740a manual (see
attached) which accomplishes the above.

Of course, if the primary, or secondary calibration laboratory performs an
*adjustment* on the traveling standard, setting its 1v output to 1v +/-2ppm
(e.g "cooked") the above procedure can be eliminated.  I suspect that
requesting adjustment by a manufacturer, such as Fluke, of a 732a/b would
be only by special arrangement, and probably fetch a fee close to the
purchase price of the instrument.

I hope to hear that I'm wrong, and that the above calibration can be
accomplished without a KV divider.

Stan